[Twisted-Python] blocking and threads

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Apr 27 08:24:47 MDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:07:15 -0700 (PDT), Joachim Boomberschloss <boomberschloss at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Thanks, how embarassing... I suggest adding it to the
>"using threads" howto (I'd do it myself if I knew
>how). Another idea: make an asynchronous file-handling
>module that wraps Python's file IO with something that
>has a deferred-oriented interface. Is there already
>something like that too?

  There's not, yet (although likely the VFS project Chris Armstrong, Andy Gayton, Tim Stebbing, and Andrew Bennetts recently started on will probably encompass this at some point).

  For many projects, asynchronous disk file i/o isn't actually that important.  They either only do a little bit of it, or they can fragment it over multiple reactor iterations manually without too much effort.  This is probably the main reason there isn't something like adbapi for files in Twisted already.

  For projects that do a lot of disk IO (like an ftp server, say :), or have latency requirements more stringent than average, an asynchronous file API would definitely be useful.

  Jp