[Twisted-Python] Dynamic listening to UDP ports?

Eugene Coetzee projects at reedflute.com
Wed Apr 27 02:14:10 MDT 2005

Torbjörn Einarsson wrote:

>Thanks a lot!
>
>A related question:
>how do I in the simplest way send UDP data to 10 different ports.
>
>In standard Python I would do
>sock = socket.socket(AF_INET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
>for port in portList:
>    sock.sendto(data,(host,port))
>sock.close()
>
>What is the corresponding thing in Twisted?  (I've only found listenUDP and
>connected UDP).

As I understand it you want to tie different servers together. The
"Server Factory" base class  for TCP connections is an abstraction layer
which makes it possible to spawn different server protocols , see:

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/howto/tutorial/factory

There is no UDP Factory base class that can be used to wrap different
UDP protocol instances.

I achieve this by writing my own application layer which ties everything
together- see:

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2005-March/009888.html

Alternatively - I suspect one could also simply inherit from
service.Application  and code your "application layer" stuff in there.

regards,

Eugene Coetzee

Reedflute Software Solutions

Telephone           -> +27 18 293 3236