[Twisted-Python] Twisted P2P

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Fri Apr 22 03:06:39 MDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 10:46:05AM +0200, van Aswegen, Marinus (ZA - Johannesburg) wrote:
>    Hi Guys
>
>    I need some advice before I start hacking about with socket,
>    SocketServer and twisted.  I'm planning to write a LAN P2P program to
>    make it easy to share files on the LAN.  I'm planning to make it cross
>    platform win / unix. Each P2P client will advertise using UDP multicast
>    that they are out there. If a client wants to send a file or files it
>    will connect TCP to the client and request auth. Upon auth it will tx
>    the files using TCP.  I would like the each P2P client to be able to
>    handle multiple connections (send + rec).
>
>    Suggestions, pointers, help appreciated.

Sounds well suited to Twisted.

Feel free to ask specific questions if you get stuck on something.  The
tutorial and the writing servers and writing clients howtos should answer
most of your questions, though:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/tutorial/
    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/servers.html
    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/clients.html

You might also find some of the examples to be interesting:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/examples/index.xhtml

-Andrew.