[Twisted-Python] Raise soap faults

Eric Mangold teratorn at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Apr 15 11:39:48 MDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:39:03 -0500, Charles Moad <cmoad at indiana.edu> wrote:

> 	I have a soap server that I am trying to make handle errors correctly.
>  When there is an error I just return a SOAPpy.faultType instance.  The
> client should correspondlingly raise a python exception when it gets
> this.  Unfortunately it looks like twisted is returning the faultType
> instance as a valid response.  Here is the returned SOAP:

Yeah, I think that is right.

I believe you are supposed to raise an exception from your soap_* methods
if you want a real SOAP fault to be returned. You may simply raise your
faultType instance, or a faultType instance will be created automatically.

Though on the client side it still won't raise an exception, but you will
hopefully get your faultType instance. You may check for it explicitly and
raise it, if you like.

This behavior is probably wrong, and should be modified to be more in line
with our other RPC implementations and SOAPpy itself. It would also be
nice for Twisted to assert that the user isn't returning faultType
instances from their soap_* methods, and if they are to advise them of the
correct procedure.

Would you please open a bug on the tracker and assign it to me?
http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs/

Itamar, you're listed as the soap.py maintainer.. does this sound about
right to you?

-Eric