[Twisted-Python] UDP asynchronous communication

jarrod roberson jarrod.roberson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 09:54:49 MDT 2005

On Apr 10, 2005 9:13 AM, Adrian Libotean
<adrian.libotean at asylum-studios.ro> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all I must let you know that I am new to Twisted.
>
> I need to implement a server discovery mechanism for my application. The
> way I chose to implement it is this:
>
>         1. The client, when started, sends a broadcast message requesting
> servers to make their presence known (UDP broadcast)
>         2. The server responds to this request using the same port on the
> sender's IP to reply (UDP normal message)
>         3. ...
>
> Now the problem I faced is that from the examples I found on the web
> (http://twisted.sourceforge.net/TwistedDocs-1.1.0/howto/udp.html), for
> multicast UDP messages, are done using listenUDP on both sides (server
> and client) and this approach is not good for me because I need a
> non-blocking communication mechanism on the client-side.

Why are you re-inventing the wheel, Dynamic Server discovery is
already implemented with
ZeroConf ( also known as Rendezvous on OSX ) thru mDNS.

I have working example code for twisted that I got form people on this
list if you want to see it.

--
If you don't know what you want, you probably need a nap.