[Twisted-Python] Twisted network games

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Tue Apr 19 09:05:59 EDT 2005

On 2005.04.18 15:35:57 +0000, sir shz wrote:
> Hi, I'm just starting to poke into Twisted, actually python itself. I'm
> thinking of writing a network based game, e.g., card games like poker.
> Twisted seems to be the right tool for it. Are there any existing projects
> in that direction? Have there been this type of multiple player games
> written in Twisted? or in Python (which must surely exist)?

Mine is at http://slugathon.sf.net

Not actually playable yet, but there's enough code to serve as a decent
example of pb, cred, integration with PyGTK, and passing event objects
instead of sharing live game objects to avoid leaking hidden information
to the client.

I second the recommendation for GoSiege, except that it's more realtime
than turn-based.  (Players move whenever they want to, within some move
rate limit, rather than strictly taking turns.)  This is necessary if
you want your game to scale to large numbers of players without becoming
a wait-fest, but the logic is very different than turn-based games like
poker.

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net