[Twisted-Python] Fwd: [Twisted-commits] r11721 - revert r11685

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Mon Sep 20 09:59:27 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 11:08, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> twisted.web will not be included. There will be two downloads ("Twisted
> Web 1 - Deprecated", "Twisted Web 2"). Most people will not download the
> first ever. The first will likely not have new releases unless we fine
> security issues. Moving it to branch and only doing releases from there
> may be fine (if our release infrastructure is up to it!) but I still
> think newweb should be twisted.web2.

OK.  I am going to re-propose my way of versioning interfaces since this
is a subset of it, but in the interests of not holding this up, this is
fine :).

> 1. twisted.web2 remains web2.
+1

> 2. Move twisted.web (and any other security bugfix only packages, I
> guess) to a "deprecated" branch.

Thinking about this a little more: +0

My main concern was that there was going to be a single download.  Upon
further reflection, we are probably going to need some good policy for
how to do this - branching from all of trunk is bad since you don't want
to capture other buggy code along with it...

I'd like to see some way that we can clearly mark deprecated modules in
trunk though, for new developers.

> Yes? No?

Sounds fine to me, as long as no other package maintainers have a
problem with tacking on a version number to the end of their package
names when they make large API changes.  I forsee we are going to have a
lot of those :).

> If yes, that just leaves the nevow/twisted.web2 merger question, which
> should probably be done on twisted-web mailing list.

I can get divmod to provide a conference line if this would benefit from
a real-time discussion, which I think it might.