[Twisted-Python] Fwd: [Twisted-commits] r11721 - revert r11685

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Sun Sep 19 18:19:42 MDT 2004

On Sep 19, 2004, at 12:30 PM, <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
> twisted/web2 has an unacceptable dependency on nevow that will need to
> be
> discussed or removed before this subpackage can be added.

First off -- I consider this a rude thing to do, considering I am far
from being unreachable. What was the emergency that prompted this
removal at midnight on a saturday night? None? Yeah, that's what I
thought.

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 10:07:57 -0400, Itamar Shtull-Trauring
> <itamar at itamarst.org> wrote:
>> Why is this unacceptable? We depend on pyOpenSSL for TLS support,
>> etc..
>>

>   The logistical reasons:
>
>     There is no release of Nevow.

There is. Although it's old. This is a very good reason for not
releasing twisted.web2. Fortunately, since we have decoupled releases
now, it doesn't affect anything else.

>     None of the buildslaves have even an SVN trunk checkout installed,
> nor have any of them been asked to install one.

True.

>     Developers weren't told about this new dependency, so they may not
> have it installed.

twisted-web ml was. I don't expect developers that don't care about
twisted web to install Nevow.

> This leads to strangely failing tests, making it difficult to tell if
> outstanding changes that a developer wants to commit are broken.

I assume you mean "Could not import twisted.web2.test.test_web:
Traceback: exceptions.ImportError, No module named nevow.". If so,
"strangely failing tests" is quite a hyperbole.

>   The technical reasons:
>
>     Nevow imports Twisted.  Therefore, Twisted should not import Nevow.
>
>     Twisted is the networking framework and the web server framework.
> It is lower level than the application server and the templating
> system.  The latter should depend on the former, if a dependency
> exists, not the reverse.  _If_ it is desired for Twisted to gain
> functionality from a Nevow installed, Nevow must be careful to only
> import certain things from Twisted.
>
>  I would much prefer if Nevow gained functionality from Twisted and
> not the reverse, but if twisted.web/nevow developers desire things to
> work as they do currently in twisted.web2, at least the above issues
> need to be addressed.  This thread should serve to resolve one of them
> (hopefully Twisted developers are now aware of the potential
> dependency ;).

Most of Twisted web2 does not/will not depend on Nevow. Generation of
some server-generated pages does/will. Those tests should just be
skipped if Nevow isn't installed. That they aren't is an issue, sure.

If you want to have any input on these technical matters I suggest
participating on the twisted-web mailing list instead of just randomly
removing code.

Please re-add it.

James