[Twisted-Python] Implementing a custom FTP server

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Mon Sep 6 15:15:40 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 01:02, Jason Stitt wrote:

> I'm trying to implement a custom FTP server (eventually SFTP, but I
> want to get the basics down.)

Are you aware that:

1. Twisted's FTP server has in theory support for generic backends?
(though it is currently being rewritten, so you could help with that).

2. SFTP (SSH's transfer protocol) is very different protocol than FTP.

3. Twisted also has a SFTP implementation.

> P.P.S. is SFTP different enough from FTP that I should be thinking
> about implementing it from the start, rather than later, or can I just
> graft an SSL layer onto my FTP server?

Oh, hm. Perhaps you should clarify. When you say "sftp" do you mean
SSH2's sftp protocol (totally different than FTP) or FTP over TLS?

As far as details about how the protocol works, you should check out Dan
Bernstein's FTP docs and of course the RFCs.

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org