[Twisted-Python] Twisted in Python STDLIB?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 14 12:50:36 MDT 2004

On Oct 14, 2004, at 2:28 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 13:28, Anthony Baxter wrote:
>
>> This seems like a good thing to aim for, say, inclusion in 2.5. I
>> don't
>> think there's any chance of a significant amount of twisted being
>> included in the stdlib - for instance, the Failure code absolutely
>> wouldn't be accepted (it's way nasty).
>
> We should have a conversation about that at some point - I don't
> disagree that the code is nasty, but there are pieces of very core
> Twisted code that depend upon it.  It only exists because Python's
> native representation of tracebacks is way nastier. ;-)
>
> Other than that, I completely agree with your post.  That, and I am
> definitely NOT the person to ask to maintain the stdlib variant...

Well from what I remember from the last time I rewrote Failure, the
gnarlyness is used only to "persist" a traceback longer than it should
really exist.  Perhaps there should be an understandable and high
performance version of Failure that is used by default, with a separate
debugerriffic version can be monkeypatched or adapted in when it's
actually wanted?

-bob