[Twisted-Python] Twisted in Python STDLIB?

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Mon Oct 11 13:51:11 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 15:31, exarkun at divmod.com wrote:

>   So, uh, yea.  I'd love to see a mature, stable Twisted (or more
> likely Twisted subset) in the standard library.  I think a few parts
> of Twisted are even almost ready for this to be considered, but aside
> from some of the things in twisted/python/, much of it still requires
> work.

I had almost finished composing an identical email when this one
arrived.  So, I'll play devil's advocate:

I think that part of the question Ed is asking is, "when can we have
some of Twisted in the stdlib rather than asyncore".  Considering how
ancient and creaky asyncore is looking right now, I think it might be
valid to consider some small subset of Twisted that subsumes asyncore's
functionality for inclusion in the standard library.

Of course this should be post-split.  I don't think it makes much sense
to try to do something like this now.

Were this to happen, I would suggest it be in a different module name,
"twistedcore" or something, to allow a stable interface to remain in the
standard library, which would have a hope of being easily
plug-compatible with future Twisted versions, but would not hamstring
the ability of the Twisted team to put out new versions.

This might also assuage Guido's concerns about framework-structured
code; we could elide utilities such as twistd, and instead provide
convenience functions for users to write their own daemonization, et.
al.  This would at least provide a minimal platform for running
Twisted-compatible event handlers, to even out the curve between
"install Twisted as a dependency" and "just run this stand-alone
script".