[Twisted-Python] PATCH: twisted.web.client Basic/Digest Authentication

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Fri Oct 1 15:18:01 EDT 2004

Hello Mathieu,

This sounds like a wonderful patch.  I've had to use libcurl
and urllib2 in order to use digest authentication. I have
a few comments:

 - For any patch with substantial functionality to be accepted,
   it must be accompanied with corresponding test suite.

 - It was suggested on IRC that the digest algorithms should go
   into twisted.cred so that other protocols (such as SMTP)
   could also use these authentication mechanism.

 - I've written server-side digest authorization sandbox/cce/digest.py
   but I do admit, it's probably pretty ugly.

Cheers!

Clark

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 12:43:30PM -0600, Mathieu Fenniak wrote:
| The attached patch adds support for HTTP authentication to
| twisted.web.client.  It supports both basic and digest authentication.
| This patch adds a new module, twisted.web.auth, which I hope to expand
| in the future to support digest server-side authentication.  A new
| class is also added to twisted.web.error, which passes on the
| WWW-Authenticate headers such that authentication could be handled
| externally.
|
| I have never contributed before to Twisted, so I'd appreciate feedback
| on this patch.  It works, and is pretty clean code, but I don't know if
| there are some practices I might be breaking without being aware.
|
| This patch is based on repository v.11878.
|
| --
| Mathieu Fenniak <mfenniak at pobox.com>
| http://stompstompstomp.com/

Clark C. Evans                      Prometheus Research, LLC.
                                    http://www.prometheusresearch.com/
    o                               office: +1.203.777.2550
  ~/ ,                              mobile: +1.203.444.0557
 //
((   Prometheus Research: Transforming Data Into Knowledge
 \\  ,
   \/    - Research Exchange Database
   /\    - Survey & Assessment Technologies
   ` \   - Software Tools for Researchers
    ~ *