[Twisted-Python] multiple connectTCP bindaddress problem

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Mon Nov 8 10:48:53 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 23:04 +1100, Chris Laws wrote:

> client(s) can go on any port I choose. I simply wanted the clients to use the
> same local port when establishing their connections with the servers to reduce
> the likelyhood for conflicting use of ports.

? That doesn't really make sense to me. The operating system will give
clients ephemeral ports if you don't specify one, the clients won't ever
conflict.

>  (We have a few conflicting uses of
> ports on this project so I wanted mine to use a few as possible). Anyway from
> your information I will go with the port-per-server implementation.

I'm still not sure why specifying the clients' port helps with conflicts
on the server side. Were you going to dispatch to the correct protocol
based on the client's port? That's probably not a good idea, better to
have e.g. a "I want to do protocol X" message upon connection if you
want to support multiple protocols on same server port.