[Twisted-Python] What does the LGPL mean in terms of python?

Chris Green cmg at dok.org
Fri May 28 13:17:30 EDT 2004

Hey folks,

I've checked out the archives but almost everything I've read just
amounted to "it's under the LGPL, read that".

I understand the LGPL with regards to the classic case of C libraries.
You can call the public functions, even add your own new public
functions but the code that is in the library itself has to be
released under the terms of the LGPL.  The examples in the LGPL of
using just the header file doesn't really map into python.

For example, is a subclass a derivative work? By the LGPL, it seems to
be since it's combined completely with the code that is under the
LGPL.

Let's say I had ChatServer derived from TCPServer, is it the intent of
the licensing that my code must be placed under the LGPL?

If subclassing is allowed to occur and those new classes can be placed
under any license the user desires, it seems that any licensing
inconvenience that doesn't involve cutting and pasting code can be
worked around by merely extending the existing classes.

If it's not allowed, I'm still not sure what the boundary lines are.

This would be great information to add to the FAQ and include with
the distribution as licensing clarifications and what the intent of
the licensing scheme is.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Green <cmg at dok.org>
Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures.