[Twisted-Python] Re: example stdin handling client that supports readline?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 24 08:13:32 EDT 2004

Christopher Armstrong <radix at twistedmatrix.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>> Andrew Bennetts <andrew-twisted at puzzling.org> writes:
>
>>>I'm not aware of anyone using readline with Twisted.  A couple of options
>>>spring to mind:
>>>    - use curses (see doc/examples/cursesclient.py for an example of using
>>>      curses in Twisted) to make your own readline-like functionality
>>>    - run readline in a thread, and get it to call
>>>      reactor.callFromThread(something.gotStdinLine, ...) everytime a user
>>>      hits enter.
>>>    - just write a GUI interface, and forget readline ;)
>> 4) check out pyrepl from CVS and help me debug the currently rather
>>    hackish twisted support :-)
>> http://codespeak.net/pyrepl
>

> Heeey, pyrepl is really cool... :-)

Thanks :-)

It's also scary.  I was just saying on IRC:

<mwh> there are bits of code in pyrepl that make me go
<mwh> "i wrote this code?  wow.  i wonder how it works?"

This is mostly the low-level terminal manipulation stuff.

> radix at radii ~/Projects/pyrepl/pyrepl% python python_reader.py
>
> ->> import sys; print sys.modules['twisted.internet.reactor']
> <twisted.internet.default.SelectReactor instance at 0x40352e0c>
> # woot, twisted's already being used :-)
> ->> from twisted.internet import reactor
> ->> from twisted.python.util import println
> ->> reactor.callLater(1, println, "\nhi!")
> <twisted.internet.base.DelayedCall instance at 0x40522aac>
> ->>
>      hi!
>
> -- output there seems to do some weird stuff with whitespace, but
>    anyway, this is pretty cool :-)

Well, yeah, you're writing to the terminal when it's in raw mode.
pyrepl gets upset (cosmetically) when you do that.  Tracebacks are
really, really ugly...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I hate leaving Windows95 boxes publically accessible, so shifting
  even to NT is a blessing in some ways.  At least I can reboot them