[Twisted-Python] How do I run a twisted server directly

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Sat May 15 16:59:05 EDT 2004

Andrew Bennetts wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 01:05:43AM -0400, Alexander May wrote:
> [...]
>
>>What does everybody else here use for a development environment/debugger
>>when writing twisted or twisted apps?  Any IDE users out there?  I don't
>>want to waste more time than I already have just setting up my environment.

> I tend to simply use print statements, unit tests and pdb.  My "IDE" is vim
> :)

I use PDB.  My IDE is twisted-dev.el, which runs on the popular Emacs
IDE platform :).

Since many of the unit tests I run are quite time-consuming (even on
very fast hardware) I do avail myself of a debugger.  However, I haven't
run an actual application under a debugger in years.  I press F9
(twisted-dev-debug-tests) to run the current unit-test under the debugger.

What this does is simply communicate with twistd -b over standard
input/output, and keep a buffer open with the code on the appropriate line.

Until somebody develops an IDE with some runtime modifications (such as
smalltalk-style restartable exceptions) I doubt that I'll find any
compelling reason to switch...