[Twisted-Python] How do I run a twisted server directly

Alexander May alex-news at comcast.net
Sat May 15 09:10:45 EDT 2004

Thanks.

FYI - When I did this I stumbled on to something.  If I have scratch.py as
follows:

from twisted.application import service
application = service.Application('central-server')

Where the last line consists of a single space, then I get an error when I
run twistd -y scratch.py (call stack at end).  When I remove the space so
the last line is just a carriage return, it works fine.  I found it strange.
Perhaps it is a python thing I has just never stumbled on before.  Not a big
deal now that I know, but it drove me batty for a bit.

Also, why the preference for .tac extensions when running twistd, instead of
.py?

I'm slowly working my way through the docs, so if it's RTFM, I'll
understand.

Thanks again for all the help,
Alex

Call stack:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python23\scripts\twistd.py", line 36, in ?
    run()
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\scripts\twistw.py", line 61,
in run
    app.run(runApp, ServerOptions)
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\application\app.py", line 204,
in run
    runApp(config)
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\scripts\twistw.py", line 45,
in runApp
    application = app.getApplication(config, passphrase)
--- <exception caught here> ---
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\application\app.py", line 117,
in getApplication
    application = service.loadApplication(filename, style, passphrase)
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\application\service.py", line
291, in loadApplication
    application = sob.loadValueFromFile(filename, 'application', passphrase)
  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\twisted\persisted\sob.py", line 213,
in loadValueFromFile
    exec data in d, d
exceptions.SyntaxError: invalid syntax (line 5)

Failed to load application: invalid syntax (line 5)