[Twisted-Python] "Scripting Language" My Arse: Using Python for Voice over IP (Shtoom)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Mar 24 09:15:50 MST 2004

http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/6/paper.txt

"Scripting Language" My Arse: Using Python for Voice over IP

[This is the paper, not the talk. The talk is yet to come]

[third draft]

Abstract
--------

A common complaint made of Python is that it is not suitable for serious
application development, and is only suitable for "scripting" or
"prototyping" tasks. The Shtoom toolkit
(http://divmod.org/Home/Projects/Shtoom) is a Voice over IP (VoIP)
framework implemented in Python using the Twisted framework. It
includes 'shtoom' itself, a software phone using the toolkit.

This paper covers the basics of SIP and RTP (the protocols underlying
Voice over IP), examines some of the issues relating to the
implementation of Shtoom (with a digression on issues relating
to timing), and will hopefully help demonstrate why implementing
applications in Python is perfectly feasible.