[Twisted-Python] Collaborative file storage via ftp/sftp/smb and html

Andy Gayton andy at thecablelounge.com
Mon Mar 1 16:29:15 MST 2004

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 02:29, Andy Gayton wrote:
>

>>html - can be secure, slow non robust file transfer, doesn't support
>>resume, easy to administer who has access to what, client access is
>>universal
>

> You forgot about WebDAV. Designed for exactly this, with support for
> locking, arbitrary metadata, extensions for versioning, and more. Plus
> Windows, Mac OS X and maybe linux file managers have VFS support for
> WebDAV.
>
> http://www.webdav.org

Yeah I did :)

btw is it just me or have microsoft taken out support for webdav web
folders with ie6 onwards.  At least I couldn't map to an apache/webdav
share as a web folder when I last tried - but there was a time I could.

It'd be great if I was mistaken about this.

Anyway, if I do this in twisted then the user gets a huge choice in
clients depending on the particular task their doing.  Grabbing an adhoc
file out in the field - use a web browser, day to day work - map a
share, transfering huge files - use sftp ... and from an administration
point of view it should hopefully be slightly nicer than setting up
samba shares.

cheers,
Andy.