[Twisted-Python] Using Twisted together with Windows Namespace Extensions

Thorsten Henninger henni at brainbot.com
Mon Mar 1 12:33:35 EST 2004

Hi everybody,

I try to implement an ActiveX component for a Windows Namespace
Extension, such that the
data of my server, a twisted perspective broker, can be accessed and
browsed via the Windows explorer.

The challenge on writing something like this is, that once Windows asks
my ActiveX component to open a folder, a file
or any other object, Windows expects an immediate answer. But asking by
twisted server just returns a deferred.

To emulate those synchronous calls, I could use the "deferredResult"
methods from twisted.trials.
But that way, I would not be able to handle parallel requests, e.g. from
two or more explorers or other applications.

Does anybody know, how to emulate a synchronous call in twisted?
Am I right, that using the deferredResult method causes problems with
parallel requests?

I guess, the solution may be similar to the render method
     return server.NOT_DONE_YET
solution used in web.resource and twisted.web.server.

thanks for any help on this,

Thorsten

--
brainbot technologies AG
boppstrasse . 64 . 55118 mainz . germany
http://brainbot.com/  mailto:henni at brainbot.com