[Twisted-Python] Refactoring of trial - call for feature requests and suggestions

slyphon at twistedmatrix.com slyphon at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Jun 15 01:11:56 MDT 2004

I am undertaking the refactoring of trial and i'm looking for
suggestions as to what features people think trial lacks, what they'd
like it to do that it never did, and so on.

So far, I have received the following improvements/feature requests on
#twisted:

- Support test methods returning deferreds rather than needing to
explicitly block for results

- Better reactor cleaning

- A component-oriented approach to allow for easier extension and
customization of the test running/reporting process

- Improved error reporting (allow for the reporter to report more than a
one traceback)

- (possibly) Add additional function attribute tags to allow for more
expressive explanation of test failures. I had two suggestions, a
"broken" attribute would be used to indicate that a failure did not
indicate an error in the code being tested, the other would be a
"known_issue" that would indicate a test failure is not a regression,
rather is a new test that tests for a known issue, and therefore it
should be noted and fixed, but isn't a show-stopper (so to speak)

I'd be interested to hear your suggestions and comments and such.

-Jonathan