[Twisted-Python] Wiring a new reactor/Client into Twisted

Eugene Coetzee projects at reedflute.com
Wed Jul 28 13:18:31 MDT 2004

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

>>In order to achieve this I need to extend SerialProtocol from
>>twisted.serial but it is clear that I need to do much more than just
>>that. This is where I have difficulty in in extending the functionality
>>of twisted.application.internet to build something which I can refer to
>>as "SerialClient" (analogous to TCPClient,UDPClient)
>>

>UDPClient is very different from TCPClient (and deprecated, btw). A
>single UDPClient has one protocol instance and listens on one UDP port.
>Likewise, a SerialClient would only be connected to one serial port.

This is exactly (what I think :) I want.

I want a dedicated client for each SerialPort cause in accordance with
the master/slave polling philosopy you can  only address one device at a
time on a specific port - and *have to* wait until you receive a
response or timeout occurs. My  multithreading driver allows you do do
this on a  bunch of ports concurrently.

Thanx for the feedback though - I'm going to mess around with
application.internet a little more (along the same lines of deprecated
UDPClient) and see how far that gets me.

regards,

Eugene

Web                 -> www.reedflute.com