[Twisted-Python] Re: reactor.stop stops entire twistd

Anthony Tarlano tarlano at docomolab-euro.com
Wed Jul 28 04:11:52 MDT 2004

Liming,

You may want to read the fine documentation howto sections...
http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/howto/

I think if you put a little time into reading, all your questions will
be answered.

Anthony

Tsai Li Ming wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> We have the following class that is instantiated within the sever code
> that is using twistd to issue system calls.
>
> class System:
>     result = None
>     status = None
>     cmd = ''
>

>     def __init__(self, cmd, args=[]):
>         self.cmd = cmd
>         self.args = args
>

>     def ok(self, result):
>         self.result = result
>         self.status = 0
>         reactor.stop()
>

>     def err(self, err):
>         self.result = err.getErrorMessage()
>         self.status = 1
>         reactor.stop()
>

>     def run(self):
>         d = utils.getProcessOutput(self.cmd, self.args, os.environ)
>         d.addCallback(self.ok)
>         d.addErrback(self.err)
>         reactor.run()
>

>     def getResult(self):
>         if self.status == None: self.status = 0
>         if self.result[-1:] == '\n': self.result = self.result[:-1]
>

>         return self.status, self.result
>

> Since the reactor is already running, how do I actually use Deferred?
>
> Many thanks,
> Liming
>

> Christopher Armstrong wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:07:36 +0800, Tsai Li Ming
>> <mailinglist at ltsai.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok. then how do I aviod using reactor.start() and reactor.stop() for
>>> getProcessOutut?
>>

>> Well, since you're using twistd, the reactor is already running, so
>> you don't need to call reactor.run(). And you shouldn't be calling
>> reactor.stop(), because you said you didn't want to stop the reactor.
>>
>> So, just don't call them. But the fact that I need to say something so
>> obvious makes me think I'm not grasping the whole picture. If my
>> explanation so far is insufficient, can you show more code?

*Anthony Tarlano
Researcher - Future Networking Laboratory*
*DoCoMo Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH** *
*Landsberger Strasse 308-312    *
*80687 Munich Germany*
*Tel:**    +**49 89 56 824 212*
*Cell:  ** +**49 177 341 3758*