[Twisted-Python] Collaborative Text Editor

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Wed Jul 14 14:26:56 MDT 2004

I'm thinking of implementing a real-time collaborative text editor in Python
using Twisted. An initial plan is to use a Twisted PB server daemon that
accepts user:password:file connections from text editor clients to make
changes to a specified file on the server, and have the text editor clients
update their local copies of the file based on local user input or input
entered from other users, relayed via the server.

Jabber compatibility would be nice, as would color-coding of different
users' text, etc. But I really want to keep this as simple as possible for
a specific purpose. (I've written with twisted PB recently and am very
pleased with its power and ease of use.)

I'd appreciate pointers to any existing, simple Python-based text editors
suitable for being adapted to this purpose. "Suitable" means under an
OSI-approved license and written cleanly and modularly to facilitate
incorporation into another project.

Offers to collaborate would be gratefully accepted. The result, if any, will
be GPL'd and released. If anyone wants to take these ideas and run with a
project of their own, be my guest.

Thanks, Ed

--
Ed Suominen