[Twisted-Python] Spread or SOAP

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Mon Jul 5 17:10:55 MDT 2004

On 2004.07.04 09:40:32 +0000, Sergio Trejo wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to Twisted and just discovered it today. It looks to be amazing
> and versatile. I want to use the Twisted Web server to receive an HTTP POST
> and when the POST comes in, I want to relay a message to another object
> that happens to be running on the same physical machine (although in the
> future it may not be running on the same machine). The message that will be
> sent will contain some basic data. To do this, should I use Spread with the
> Perspective Broker for interobject communication (can I even do this from,
> say, a cgi application in Twisted Web server), or should I do something a
> bit more fancier such as using SOAP?

PB is excellent, within its range of applicability.  If you control both
sides, can choose Python, and prefer async operation, I highly recommend it.
Yeah, it should be easy to integrate with other Twisted bits.

XML-RPC is reasonable, if you need cross-language support or more buzzword
compliance.

SOAP is XML-RPC attacked by Microsoft and a committee.  It's hard to read
the specs without laughing, and harder to try to interoperate with someone
using Microsoft's broken^Wenhanced implementation of it without crying.

But what did you expect to hear on a Twisted list?

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net