[Twisted-Python] Spread or SOAP

David Ripton dripton at ripton.net
Tue Jul 6 15:15:47 EDT 2004

On 2004.07.05 21:19:13 +0000, Sergio Trejo wrote:
> I didn't realize that SOAP is Microsoft
> FUD, as I thought SOAP is a W3C standard. Is W3C the committee that
> Microsoft is trying to manipulate?

I didn't say anything about FUD or manipulation.  Microsoft and W3C
committees are perfectly capable of producing absolute garbage even
when aiming for something good.  (Sturgeon's Law most definitely applies
to software.)

If you like the basic idea of SOAP (client/server RPC via XML over http),
I think XML-RPC (which is basically an early draft of SOAP) is fine.
Then feeping creaturism set in, and SOAP (plus the ring of associated
cruft like WSDL) is no longer simple.

I think PB is easier to use than XML-RPC, and (other than the Python
requirement) more flexible.  It allows passing general Python objects
rather than just simple types, and supports asynchronous server-to-client
callbacks over the original socket.

If pure request-response with just basic types is all you need, then
either will work fine.  (So will SOAP, or CORBA for that matter if
firewalls don't preclude it -- there'll just be more docs to read.)

David Ripton    dripton at ripton.net