[Twisted-Python] newbie: using serial ports in plugin

Nic Cave-Lynch nic at tymar.com
Wed Jan 7 23:52:58 EST 2004

Hi people

I need to write an application which will receive data from a number of
serial ports, mash it around a lot, then forward the mashed results
across a TCP connection to another box where it's all un-mashed and spat
out one of a number of serial ports there. All conceptually fairly
simple, and Twisted looked like it would help enormously.

But

I can't work out how to daemonise an application which is bound to a
serial port. The neither the gpsfix.py or the mouse.py examples seem to
follow the required interface for being able to be turned into a 'tap'.
I've looked at other approaches (like munging the portforward.py
concepts -- that doesn't seem to allow the SerialPort intialisations to
work properly) but I keep hitting dead ends (and my head against a brick
wall)

Can anyone give me any pointers, or better still, some example code of a
serial port protocol running as a daemon.

All help gratefully received

Nic C-L