[Twisted-Python] Re: Newbie Question about PB and Firewalls

Eric Mangold teratorn at world-net.net
Thu Jan 8 22:05:59 EST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 04:14 pm, Patrick Gilmartin wrote:
> I have been reviewing Twisted site and documentation fairly extensive
> for the past couple of months.
>
> I have just downloaded it to start working with it, but before I get
> started there are some answers I seek that will really help in my
> overall plans.
>
> From all the reading I have done, it looks like PB would be the
> optimal protocol for me to use.  I understand where I have decision
> making power at both ends of the line, I can modify the Firewalls
> settings to accommodate the port(s).
>
> But I know I will have situations where the client side will be
> behind a firewall where I do manage the decision making process.

If it's the client side it shouldn't have a problem connecting out to
the Internet.

Or perhaps the firewall only allows certain outbound ports? If a user is
running such a firewall setup they pretty much need to be able to allow
more ports as needed.

>One
> of the reasons why XML-RPC and SOAP are broadly popular choices is
> that they are over HTTP.

They're the same as far as crossing firewalls is concerned.

> Given the above situation about Firewall settings where I have no
> control, is my assumption correct that the PB protocol is not an
> option for me.

No, probably not, but I don't think I understand your problem.