[Twisted-Python] Re: Where is best place to put my custom code?

JD lists at webcrunchers.com
Mon Jan 5 21:59:26 EST 2004

On Jan 2, 2004, at 7:20 PM, Andrew Bennetts wrote:

> The only reason you should have for calling sendLine in an IRCClient
> subclass is to extend its functionality to support more of the
> protocol than
> it already does.  IRCClient already has support for signing on (the
> 'register' method and the 'signedOn' handler), so you shouldn't use
> sendLine
> for that.  IRCClient currently lacks some IRC features, such as WHO,
> so to
> do those you do need sendLine.

That's what I thought.   Did you take a look at that code sample I sent
earlier?
I hacked that up myself,  with few examples,  so I can see where i
might have
put things in places they weren't intended to be.

I want to really learn Twisted,  and to be able to put pieces together
without
having to be constantly digging for example code,  and twiddling with
that.

> Also, good style suggests that you probably shouldn't mix your
> application
> code with your IRCClient extensions, i.e. subclass IRCClient for WHO
> support
> (and other other unimplemented commands you need), and then subclass
> that
> for your application.

I don't quite understand.   Because in my case,  my application just
intantiates
a client long enough to extract some information from the IRC server,
issue
a "who" command and extract the data.

I always thought it was appropriate to sub-class the part i want to do,
  or
parts that are not implemented by the parent,  as in my case of wanting
to do the "who" command,  so I treated the command like any other
IRC command that issues commands and gets back data.

So If I can't mix my application code with a sub_class of a IRCClient,
then
how is the right way to do it.

John