[Twisted-Python] Components

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Fri Feb 27 06:16:40 MST 2004

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> In a discussion with another Twisted developer, it struck me that we may
> be coming at the problem of components from completely different
> angles.  I didn't understand why components were interesting at all
> until I started to play with using them in the context of separation of
> concerns within simulations.  Since these concerns can become
> independently quite large, manage independent state, and are largely
> interrelated only at relatively few boundary points, they're well-suited
> towards collections of stateful adapters.  Compared to the use-cases
> I've attempted to satisfy there, every usage of adapters has seemed
> trivial.
>
> Looking at PyProtocols, it doesn't seem to me to have taken simulations
> or gaming into account as a use-case.  An indication of this is the
> seperability of the full component model from the interface / adapters
> system.  Without a full understanding of the execution context of an
> adapter, I don't know how I could integrate external adapters like TTW
> login or email delivery into a simulation.  (Pardon me for not being
> terribly specific here.  It's difficult for me to come up with examples
> that take less than 5 or 6 pages of dull prose to explain.)

You're right, the developers probably had vastly different applications
in mind. However, the only technical difference I notice in the 'game
simulations' arena is Componentized, and that's actually a fairly simple
thing (In fact, from what I read in the PyProtocols documentation last
night, it seemed like similar things already exist, or could trivially
be implemented).

You can talk about 'different philosophies', but that's meaningless
until you say what technical differencies you actually mean. Maybe you
could explain what aspects of twisted.python.components you consider are
more simulation-oriented? I'm sure it's not that hard for you to squeeze
down your '5 or 6 pages', as I've seen you explain various Reality
concepts in much less text, and we have an audience that's very familiar
with component systems, interfaces, and adapters here. Maybe Jp can jump
in, too, as he was the one who originally brought up the 'difference in
philosophies' point.

As far as the technical stuff goes, PyProtocols and t.p.c do the same
thing, and PyProtocols *can* do everything we have and want, at least
from what I've recently heard people want (string adaptation,
Componentized, adapter contexts...).

> However, I am not sure, because I can't figure out what PEAK as a whole
> is really for.  The likely source of an explanation,
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/Articles/WhatisPEAK.html
> seems awfully vague.  What is the problem that PEAK was designed to
> solve, exactly?  Clearly it was difficult, because there was a lot of
> solution :)

Yeah, reading PEAK's web site is pretty amusing. otoh, our own web copy,
while less 'professional', is also pretty lame :-)

---------+           http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/