[Twisted-Python] Components

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Thu Feb 26 17:13:04 MST 2004

On Feb 26, 2004, at 5:56 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> Parts of PyProtocols do strike me as dangerous, evil, and overcomplex,
> though :)  In particular,
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/protocol_ref/proto-implication.html
>
> The idea of passing numeric priorities for different implementations
> has
> always seemed deeply wrong to me.
I believe you misunderstood -- you don't pass numeric priorities, they
are used internally to measure the length of a chain of adapters (for
the transitive adaptation) so that the shortest chain is always used.

> 4000 lines of code related
> to components, whereas t.p.components has 300?  It worries me.

It's actually only non-blank 996 lines, not including testcases (836
lines), pyrex speedup code (233 lines), or twisted/zope compatibility
(159 lines).

Compare this to twisted.python.component's 392 lines (+350 lines of
tests). Not too bad, really. The PyProtocols authors seem to really
like blank lines, there's 1842 of those compared to twisted's 182. :)

James