[Twisted-Python] "installing" Twisted?

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Fri Feb 20 04:47:06 MST 2004

Frantisek Fuka [Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:25:38PM +0100]:
> Michal Pasternak wrote:
> >Frantisek Fuka [Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:40:09AM +0100]:
> >
> >>What exactly is the difference between running "python setup.py" and
> >>just copying the twisted/ directory to site-packages/ directory? I tried
> >>installing Twisted on old server which has Python 2.2 - the first method
> >>didn't work, the second did.
> >

> >What exactly didn't work in the first method?
>
> It halted on exception about some directory not found. Because the
> directory name contained some variation of "python2.3" string, I
> presumed that the problem is with the server only having python2.2
> installed.

Distutils are a part of Python distribution. When you run interpreter and
"import distutils", they already know, what version of Py you are running,
so if you ran Python 2.2, missing 2.3 is not a real problem.

You didn't provide exact error message, which would of course help to
identify the problem; using my telepathic powers, I bet you're running
Debian without the package for distutils installed. AFAIR, it is included in
pythonX.X-dev.