[Twisted-Python] Re: Starting MoinMoin as nonroot Linux User

Garrett Rolfs stage3 at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 21 08:51:08 MST 2004

Eugene Coetzee <projects at reedflute.com> writes:

> Jp Calderone wrote:
>
> >  Your logged in shell is running with more permissions than your
> > system is configured to allow you to have.  Perhaps someone recently
> > edited your /etc/groups file or something similar.  Logging all the
> > way out and back in
> >should give you an environment in which twistd will start up for you.

Thank you for the clue.  Indeed that appears to be the problem.  I
looked at my /etc/passwd entry and I am in my own "personal" group.
My site has linux clients that authenticate against AFS.  Every user
has their own group to minimize the exposure allowing unanticipated
access to local (non-AFS) directories and files.  Anyway, back to the
main topic...  I executed the id command and noticed I am in groups
not listed in /etc/passwd.  Also, I shouldn't be in these groups
because they are "personal" groups for other users.  Hence, I have
sent an email to our internal support org.

> Don't know if it is a bug - or something todo with shell privileges. I
> have seen the same thing migrating recently from Slackware 9.1 to
> Slackware 10.0.
>
> Since I'm using the same version of Twisted and Python on both
> versions of Slack (9.1 and 10.0) - logic seems to point in the
> direction of the distro or some GNU library related issue.

The id command may shed some light to what is different, at least it
did for me.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Garrett Rolfs