[Twisted-Python] Updating from Ancient Twisted to Current Twisted

Bruce Mitchener bruce at cubik.org
Thu Dec 2 11:54:42 MST 2004

Hello everyone,

I've got an app that runs on Twisted 1.0.7rc1 and I'd like to get it
running on something more current.  Should I be looking at 1.3.0 or is
the trunk getting close to a 2.0 release?  How stable is the trunk?

One of the main fixes that I'm interested in is some of the performance
improvements to the data buffering as a result of some issues that I had
  last year.

Also, what is the recommended reactor these days for a system that
receives a good bit of load, both from the external world and from
within a cluster of Twisted-using systems that communicate over PB? (We
use Linux.)

Have there been any major API changes that would break code, especially
stuff that used PB?  (Does cBanana still work? It apparently isn't
automatically used any longer...)

Long ago, I had some woven-using code, but then that was deprecated in
favor of nevow.  What's the current recommendation in this area?

On the other hand, it looks like there are lots of cool additions to
Twisted, like the waitForDeferred stuff, that would greatly simplify
some of our code.

I didn't see any obvious place to look for most of this info and the
changelog isn't really the right level of granularity, so any help would
be much appreciated.

  - Bruce