[Twisted-Python] Re: More on PB Copyable Errors

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 17:06:06 EST 2004

On 29 Dec 2004 14:15:57 -0500, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
> I think the one big risk with this approach is that I'm not sure a
> sender can ever know accurately whether a recipient will be able to
> unjelly a particular instance.  In your case, you're assuming the two
> sides are symmetrical and have imported the same definitions, but that
> need not be the case.  At least in general, it's certainly possible
> for the transmitting side to not have the unjellier registered (if it
> never expects to receive such objects back, for example).  Or
> conversely, the sender may have an unjellier registered but the
> recipient won't.  In this latter case you'd get an exception on the
> remote side which sending the string would have avoided.

Why's that actually a risk? In any case where a PB app uses Copyable
and suchlike, that assumption is made. If someone is marking an
exception as jellyable, then they know that their clients should also
be able to unjelly that exception, and it will be a part of the
protocol.

> Another option would be to provide some sort of configurability
> (perhaps something along the lines of how unsafe traceback support is
> handled) so an application could make the choice of what mode to
> operate in, either string names, or full instances (and the latter
> just has to have unjelliers registered just as for any other remotes).

That's exactly what the patch would do, AIUI. On the server side, you
can set unsafeTracebacks if you want tracebacks to be sent to the
client. The server side can also set an exception class as jellyable
if you want to send exception instances to the client.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
w----v----w-+    -- http://hackingsociety.org/chapters/hash