[Twisted-Python] including plugins.tml in a package

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Mon Aug 16 14:00:17 EDT 2004

OK, I've come up with a hack that seems to accomplish putting data files
in with python files in bdist_wininst.  This is a hack, folks - I'm not
a distutils expert, and I'm really hoping someone is going to chime in
with a better way.

Basically, I'm checking to see if the build command is bdist_wininst,
and if so, prepending /PURELIB/ to the path of data files.  This has the
effect of putting these files in the installer zip under
PURELIB/file/name, rather than DATA/file/name.  I can't offer a good
explanation for why this works, though.

Here's my setup.py file:

from distutils.core import setup
from distutils.command import install
import os, sys

data_files = [['hep', ['hep/plugins.tml']],
               ['hep/web/static', ['hep/web/static/hep.css']],
               ]

# hack to put data files in same basedir as python code
for scheme in install.INSTALL_SCHEMES.values():
     scheme['data'] = scheme['purelib']

# another hack to accomplish the same thing for windows builds
if sys.argv[1] == 'bdist_wininst':
     for fileInfo in data_files:
         fileInfo[0] = '/PURELIB/%s' % fileInfo[0]

setup(name='hep',
       version='0.6.1',
       description='Hep, a multiprotocol message server.',
       author='Abe Fettig',
       author_email='xxx at xxxxx.xxx',
       url='http://www.fettig.net/projects/hep',
       packages=['hep', 'hep.services', 'hep.tests'],
       data_files=data_files,
       )

-- EOF --

I'm cross-posting this to distutils-sig in case someone there has a
better solution.

Abe