[Twisted-Python] Understanding the role of .tap files

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Thu Aug 12 21:58:12 EDT 2004

Hi folks,

I'm looking for help understanding how .tap files are meant to be used
in production.  I know that a .tap, when generated, contains the
configuration info for an application.  And there are tools like tap2deb
and tap2ntsvc that take the information in a .tap and convert it into an
installable packages.  But then what happens when the user who installs
the package wants to change some aspect of the configuration?  Typically
on UNIX they would edit a config file, but if I understand correctly
using a config file for twisted apps is discouraged.

Could someone describe how this process is supposed to work:

1. User installs package built from tap file.
2. User runs application
3. User changes application config
4. User restarts application

Thanks!