[Twisted-Python] Twisted+M2Crypto patch

Heikki Toivonen heikki at osafoundation.org
Wed Aug 11 15:49:24 EDT 2004

I've been working on integrating M2Crypto to Twisted. M2Crypto is a
Python wrapper for OpenSSL.

Twisted already integrates with PyOpenSSL, which is another Python
wrapper for OpenSSL. However, PyOpenSSL has been dormant for a couple of
years (although I have heard there might be a a rewrite in the making).
M2Crypto has been under continuous development, and wraps more of
OpenSSL. Additional point why I have been working on this is that
Chandler project started using M2Crypto before choosing to use Twisted,
and we are/will be relying on more and more M2Crypto functionality and
it does not make sense to have two OpenSSL wrappers in one application.

So, now I have a patch that let's you choose which of these OpenSSL
wrappers you want to use with Twisted.

By default PyOpenSSL will be selected. If you set 'useM2' attribute to
true on the SSL context factory (for example
twisted.internet.ssl.ClientContextFactory(useM2=True)), then M2Crypto
will be used.

I have tested using Twisted's echoclient_ssl.py/echoserv_ssl.py example
files (http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/examples/), as well as
imap and smtp using samples from here:
http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/TwistedHome. I've
also read imap email using Chandler
(http://wiki.osafoundation.org/twiki/bin/view/Chandler/WebHome) with
this code. They rely on the patch that was submitted by OSAF's Brian
Kirsch earlier. I have tested on systems that have both M2Crypto and
PyOpenSSL installed, or only one but not the other. Test OSes have been
Windows XP and Debian (unstable).

There is one nasty hack in the patch which I have not yet ironed out:
the changes in abstract.py. If I take those out, I cannot connect to an
smtp server, and connection to a newly started server won't work the
first time. Any help in figuring this out would be appreciated.

Any review comments appreciated. And if you have any question, please
let me know.

--
   Heikki Toivonen