[Twisted-Python] Telnet server example?

Eugene Coetzee projects at reedflute.com
Wed Aug 11 15:17:19 EDT 2004

Britt Green wrote:

>Hi Eugene,
>
>Thanks for the example. Just a couple of quick questions if you don't mind.
>
>1) Does this create a telnetd daemon? The checkUserAndPass() method
>seems like it checks with the /etc/passwd file to enable a user to
>logon. Since I don't have access to my Unix box tonite I can't check
>this myself. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

To be technicallly correct - it creates a twistd listening on a TCP port
and understands the Telnet protocol. I'm not sure about what
checkUserAndPass() does.

>2) What does defer do exactly?

Defer is a neat way to wrap callback functions to avoid blocking IO
calls - see http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/howto/defer

>3) Say I'm writing a program that takes connections via Telnet, like a
>chat server. Would using Twisted's Telnet class be the best way to
>accomplish this? Or should I just write my own via the more low-level
>Twisted classes?

Why don't you look at
http://www.twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/examples/chatserver.py

regards,