[Twisted-Python] Twisted O'Reilly Book

Mary Gardiner mary-twisted at puzzling.org
Tue Aug 3 00:59:28 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004, James Y Knight wrote:
> Why can't that happen without a Twisted Foundation? Anyone can sign up
> to these here mailing lists, download the source code, improve it, and
> contribute their improvements back. Or make a Really Awesome
> Application(tm) using Twisted, and announce its awesomeness here.

Or alternatively, what are the barriers to contributing to Twisted that
you think a foundation would help people overcome? If you have a list of
problems, then suggested solutions can be evaluated properly.

A few things have come up:

 1. many Twisted developers are employed full-time, not all on Twisted or
    Twisted-related projects (and some of them are happy with this of
    course) or have lots of projects and not enough hours

 2. developers of large monolithic projects like a "Twisted book" may
    need/want money to develop the project

Now as far as I can see, there's not a lot a foundation could do about
(1) or (2) until it had quite a lot of funding (and recall that
"someone"[1] must get it to that stage). It may be that there are other
more informal solutions to these and other issues.

-Mary

[1] The existance of "someone" is a common myth in volunteer projects.