[Twisted-Python] Twisted O'Reilly Book

Tim Stebbing tim.stebbing at nunatak.com.au
Tue Aug 3 10:50:42 EDT 2004

Sergio Trejo wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Thanks for some well thought ideas and comments. I'm vocal and I'm
> interested. And my gloves on the keyboard are busy such that my brain
> can grok as much of Twisted as possible. If only I could just plug into
> the Matrix and grok it all in one fell swoop! :-)  I'm learning atop
> lately, and then its on to nevow.
>
> Maybe there's a nevow expert in the crowd (Mary Gardiner, aren't you a
> Nevow maestro?) who is willing to collaborate such that we can get the
> Twisted Foundation into motion along the lines of what Tim has
> suggested? Tim, would you be up for helping out in some form or another?
> Hey, I bet we could get some ideas and suggestions from Mitch Kapor's
> group since they are going to be using Twisted and would probably like
> to see its Declaration of Independence. Or maybe someone from Mozilla or
> Apache can give us some ideas of what to do and what not to do since
> they've been through the trials and tribulations of Foundation genesis.
>
> Oh yes, and another thought -- what about the company Zoteca in New York
> City? Surely they would be interested in a Twisted Foundation, no?

Mate, are you any of these people? are you Mary? or Tim? or a member of
the Apache or Mozilla Foundations? are you Perhaps Mitch Kapor, or
Zoteca, whoever they are?

You can't publically suggest our involvement in your dream, its just not
very polite, to say the least. Or do you think to excite us into action?

My last email was possibly taken out of context, I was suggesting that I
didn't oppose you going off and doing these things, some of which I
didn't think where bad ideas, but you cant expect any help for free,
Noone else is interested, or seems to see a need.

> One of the great things about having a Foundation is that it doesn't
> have to keep secrets. It is truly open and there are no hidden cards in
> the deck. At the same time, anyone is free to birth artificial persons
> in any territory on Earth who then can utilize the Foundation but also
> contribute back to it. This is why Twisted needs a Declaration of
> Independence IMHO. I see no reason why *not* to create a Twisted
> Foundation for the benefit of humankind.
>
> Imagine, a kid in Africa who has access to the 'Net who is learning
> computer science could participate in the Twisted Foundation and
> contribute something really cool, such as a new protocol, to the code
> base. Or some child in Thailand could use Twisted's Perspective Broker
> and Nevow to create some really neat 'net-based agriculture Web service
> for the farmers and hill tribe people in northeast agricultural Thailand
> (where Internet cafes continue to sprout up). And of course really cool
> apps and services could be created by the whiz gurus in the more
> modernized countries at the same time.
>
> A Foundation is a self serving entity whose goal is to survive
> independent of any others who make use of it. A Foundation owes nothing
> to no one, and can not be held hostage by anyone. Foundations are good
> for humanity. Foundations have need not retain secrets. Foundations do
> not impose detriment on others. I can't imagine a world without Apache
> (yikes, we'd all be forced to using Microsoft's IIS Web Server).

I seriously think you have missed the point. Nothing procludes anyones
involvment in twisted, its LGPL, and the core developers, let alone the
ancilliary ones are from all walks of life/regions of the globe.

> Any further comments, ideas, brainstorms, suggestions?

Idea:
Chill out.

Brainstorm:
I think you're insulting people with your lack of understanding, and
blind ranting.

Suggestion:
Get to know the community and the project before making wild
assumptions. People will take your suggestions more seriously when your
credible.

--
(o_   Timothy Stebbing, Pythonista, Nunatak Systems
//\    03 6226 6259, tim.stebbing at nunatak.com.au