[Twisted-Python] Twisted O'Reilly Book

Jasper Phillips jasper at peak.org
Mon Aug 2 00:38:51 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004, Sergio Trejo wrote:
> > What are the requirements for writing a book (besides time)?
>
> You pitch to them as per:
> http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/author/intro.html
>
> I suppose the main other requirements are "writing ability", "technical
> ability" and last but not least, "money". I may be mistaken about this,
> but I doubt income from writing tech books is sufficient to live on.

For some people it is enough to live on, although you still need to survive
the initial starving artist stint.  There's also the potential for more
subtle compensation in the form of contacts, opened doors, and project
promotion -- which could easily be worth more than royalties.

It's true that there are alot of crappy technical books and many authors
make hardly anything.  However Twisted seems to me like it would buck that
trend -- I know I'd be interested in such a book if it were done well.

-Jasper