[Twisted-Python] Twisted O'Reilly Book

Sergio Trejo serj_trejo at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 1 20:59:43 EDT 2004

>From: Mary Gardiner <mary-twisted at puzzling.org>
>To: twisted-python at twistedmatrix.com
>Subject: Re: [Twisted-Python] Twisted O'Reilly Book
>Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:24:37 +1000
>
>On Sun, Aug 01, 2004, Sergio Trejo wrote:
> > Thus, a book should be looked at as an investment with future returns
> > beyond merely what the publisher and authors earn on cash flows from
> > the cash registers of Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble, et al. Come
> > on, lets have some future vision.
>
>All I intended to say was that anyone writing such a book would need to
>be able to pay rent during its production. This is likely to be the case
>even if they are gifted with future vision.
>
>I can't speak for the people you named of course, it may be the case
>that they are able to fund (or be funded) for the writing period,
>assuming they wish to do so.
>
>-Mary

Mary, this an excellent question. I don't know the answer. I looked at
Glyph's blog post again and he said that Alex Martelli was the person who
nudged him about a book at OSCON a few days ago. Glyph says that Alex is an
author of other O'Reilly books, so Alex knows the answers to these questions
about funding the First Edition Twisted O'Reilly book (with Ghost Knife Fish
as the animal on the front cover :) I found Alex's email address in the
Twisted Matrix and cc'ed him because I think its a good time to rally around
the genesis of the book. Really, the time has come.

The people at OSAF have made a decision to use Twisted for Chandler. I think
this is HUGE. The father of Lotus Notes and his team doesn't make decisions
haphazardly. I'll bet even they would love to see a book come out on Twisted
by O'Reilly. Any comments Brian?

Thanks Britt and Liming for your comments today and sharing your experiences
as a beginner. I just got started myself about a month ago. I'd also love to
see animated diagrams using SVG and SMIL to show the *flow* of async aspects
and abstracts associated with Twisted applications.

Glyph, you asked us to write you <
http://www.livejournal.com/users/glyf/22637.html > , so I am doing as you
requested!

Calling on Glyph, calling on Itamar, calling on Radix, calling on JP, et
al!!!!

Serg