[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Tue Apr 20 15:41:26 MDT 2004

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2004 01:09 pm, exarkun at divmod.com wrote:
>  >   I mentioned "distutils tricks" a couple times.  So far I have heard both
>  > that distutils can and cannot do this.  I suspect that it can, but I would
>  > like to hear details on how this would work.  In particular, I would like
>
> from distutils.core import setup
>
> setup(packages=["twisted.foo"],
>       package_dir={"twisted.foo": "twisted_foo"}, # or wherever in the dist.
>       ...)
>
>  > to know whether "twisted.foo" would exist before the "foo" project was
>  > installed, and if it would, both what it would consist of and how it would
>  > be treated when twisted core is being upgraded after the "foo" project has
>  > been installed (can it cleanly avoid overwriting things?).
>
> Whether it exists depends on whether the Twisted core includes a package of
> the same name; I wouldn't include it unless it's part of the core.
>
> If the "core" includes the twisted package (pure container or not), upgrading
> it does not affect child packages that aren't distributed as part of the
> twisted core.  So if you install twisted 1.1, twisted.foo 1.2, then twisted
> 1.3, you have the core at 1.3 and twisted.foo at 1.2.

Well, this isn't quite a problem any more, since we're going to put
stuff in 'tmlabs' instead of 'twisted' (according to the obvious favor
from posters to this thread). However, what do you think the best way to
make the 'tmlabs' top-level exist would be? I figure we can just put an
empty 'tmlabs' directory right next to 'twisted' in our Twisted core
package, containing only an empty __init__.py. setup.py could install
it, and for people hacking out of SVN instead of using actual
installations (for the developers of these projects), I'll write a
little .pth file that makes this sane.

---------+           http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/