[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at divmod.com
Tue Apr 20 14:21:49 MDT 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> We want to allow people to use latest version of Twisted with old
> versions of other packages. So if the package you use has a major API
> rewrite, you can still use the old version with the latest and coolest
> core Twisted.

In particular, this was a release management problem for Divmod,
because we've been making changes to the imap4 code (which is in the
"protocols" package), that our code depends on, but we can't release
all of Twisted at once fast enough to roll out a minor change, because
going through the full QA process for the whole system takes too long.
We are trying to decouple things more so that a project which requires
bugfixes in twisted.web doesn't accidentally suck in in-progress
changes to the reactor as well.