[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Apr 20 10:02:41 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 11:29 am, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
 > On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 10:57, James Y Knight wrote:
 > > Using twisted.* would be better if twisted.core was in twisted.core but
 > > even without that the name sounds fine to me.
 > >
 > > So, can it not be done technically?
 >
 > I think so, yes.

I've been quiet here lately, but am interested in this discussion since I've
been working on packaging issues for Zope 3.

One thing that's interesting to note is that distutils actually allows
installing subpackages directly.  For example, it's possible to install
twisted.news separately from other twisted.* packages (let's ignore
dependencies for the moment).

The only interesting dependency for twisted.news is the top-level twisted
package.  If that's a "pure container" package (it contains only a trivial
__init__.py), then it only needs to be released and packaged once, and it
won't create dependency issues.  Some twisted.core package would be a
dependency for practical issues, but distutils will grow some support for
versionable dependencies like that (there's preliminary, undocumented support
in the Python 2.4 CVS).

My point is that there's no technical reason not to use the "twisted." prefix;
there may be other reasons not to, but that would be something for the
Twisted developers and maintainers to determine.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation