[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Tue Apr 20 09:47:31 MDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:35:07AM -0400, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
| We want to allow people to use latest version of Twisted with old
| versions of other packages. So if the package you use has a major API
| rewrite, you can still use the old version with the latest and coolest
| core Twisted.
|
| Lets say we rewrite twisted.web in a non-backwards compatible way and
| release it inside Twisted 1.4. If you need a bug fix to
| twisted.internet. that's in 1.4 but want to use the old twisted.web,
| you're screwed.

Itamar, looks like you have a really good use case there -- in
particular, I'd like to upgrade twisted "core" without updating
twisted.web till it is more stable and I've had time to update
my code dependencies.  If the 'twisted' modules could stay
within twisted.* I would prefer this, but this, alas is up
to the core people... ;) Clark