[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Mon Apr 19 20:47:57 MDT 2004

I've got a quick question, how will twisted projects manage
dependencies?  If this isn't handled nicely, it could really reduce the
value of twisted (nothing more frustrating than downloading N packages,
each one after an error of the package not being found).

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:58:30PM -0400, Christopher Armstrong wrote:
| >>News was split off, backwards compat code is in, site is up:
| >>http://projects.twistedmatrix.com/lowdown/
| >

| >I'm curious -- why did we choose to change the name from twisted.news?
| >And
| >even though the name is changing, why is the new package "lowdown" and
| >not
| >"twisted.lowdown"?
|
| It was decided that doing package names like this would be too
| problematic. Unfortunately, Python isn't as cool as Java. The name was
| changed to lowdown because "news" is a bad top-level package name and
| "twistednews" and "tnews" and various permutations so forth were also
| lame. Also, "Low Down" is cool. Get it? The LOW DOWN??? The NEWS??? Ha

This makes very little sense to me.  In my humble opinion, it should
stay 'twisted.news'.  Calling it 'lowdown' beacuse a top level package
of 'news' is taken is really counterproductive, finding good names is
hard enough.   I do see the value in breaking twisted into modules, so
that a subset of twisted could be used.   However, I don't see why these
items can be named 'twisted.XXXX', perhaps the 'core' distribution
should just have place-holder '__init__.py' file...

/twisted/news/__init__.py

  raise NotImplementedError("""\
      Download this package from
      http://projects.twistedmatrix.com/news/