[Twisted-Python] Progress report on splitting packages

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Mon Apr 19 19:13:27 MDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:48:27PM -0400, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> Since Chris didn't send one in. Hope this is accurate.
>
> News was split off, backwards compat code is in, site is up:
> http://projects.twistedmatrix.com/lowdown/

I'm curious -- why did we choose to change the name from twisted.news?  And
even though the name is changing, why is the new package "lowdown" and not
"twisted.lowdown"?

I'm also interested to see that NNTP protocol support has also migrated to
lowdown -- I was expecting that protocol implementations were going to stay
in Twisted (or perhaps a twisted.protocols project, if that gets split off),
and just the apps (i.e. direct subpackages of twisted, e.g. news, mail, web,
names, conch, ...) would be seperated.

So, I assume that this is the policy that other splits should follow?  If
so, this needs to be documented.

I'd like to see the reasons for these decisions summarised in that document
too -- I can guess at them, but it would be nice to know, and will help
future splits of subprojects go smoothly and consistently.

-Andrew.