[Twisted-Python] On splitting Twisted into subprojects

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Apr 17 11:16:25 MDT 2004

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Mary Gardiner wrote:
>
>> Since 3 looks like being the most achievable, this is basically an
>> appeal to the twisted-web folk to keep in mind that they should, where
>> possible, try and make twisted-web the Model of a Modern Twisted
>> Subproject. And make it as easy as possible for other subprojects to
>> copy whatever it is that they're going to do.
>

> I think that we are going to need some of #2 as well.  Without the
> Imposition From Above, the subprojects are likely to start in a similar
> place (modeled after Twisted.Web, as you suggest) and gradually diverge
> based on evolutionary needs, leaving them all completely different and
> weird in a year's time.
>
> Your focus on docs is correct, though, because what we really need is a
> shared policy document :).
>
> What we ALSO need, Christopher Armstrong, if you are reading this, is a
> release-twisted script which is its own, bootstrap-released project that
> can be run on ANY of the twisted subprojects to generate an instant
> release.

Ahem, I've been working on release-twisted full-time for the past 2 or 3
days :-)

Anyway, I see no point in making it bootstrapped. The only
"bootstrapping" that would theoretically be necessary is for releasing
Twisted itself, where r-t is contained, and that's been possible since
its conception. All of the other projects can just rely on the presence
of twisted during their release.

---------+           http://radix.twistedmatrix.com/